Rss Feed



  1.  By Sarah Liu, YAIC Weekly 
    February 11, 2013
    www.eslite.com
    www.pagesandpages.com.au

    "Can long distance romance work?" "I fell in love with my best friend. Should I tell her my feeling?" "Does my Mr. Right really exist?" "How could best collectively slack off, form a cartel and drag the examination marking standard down?" "How to crush the student cartel?" "Should I go to a university or get a real job?" "Which career should I choose?" "I don't have enough time!" "Should I study harder in order to get a better grade?" "Should I rely on the rankings?" "My socks don't match. What can I do?" "I use the same password on the Internet and I'm worrying that the hackers might find out!"



    www.positivemoney.org

    These questions were asked by the readers of the dear economist column and undercover economist column on Financial Times . The economist, Tim Harvord would answered the questions calmly without hesitating and frankly with his forthright language. He loves to employ economic models, quote statistical data and sometimes just reason them through logic. These all make his advice reliable and full of his personal charm. This book is consists of 150 problems, giving us the most realistic and entertaining economics that in the same time we can also learn so much from.

    timharvord.com


    "Can long distance romance work?" My friend asked me this question before. Unfortunately, at that time, I couldn't give her any useful advice. And now, before I can share Tim's advice with her, their relationship had already ended, proving that distance romance can't work. However, to those who hope to maintain a distance romance, they will like to know that the Alchain-Allen Theorem says that the Australians drink more high-level Californian wine than the Californians and it's because only expensive wine worth spending this transportation cost.

    johnwentparkland.blogspot.com


    "How could best collectively slack off, form a cartel(the behavior of collusion) and drag the examination marking standard down?" The question was asked by a student from "Cantorbridge College," who was learning economics and, like all of the students, wanted to study less but still get good grade. Tim, instead of rebuking him with moral standard like most of the teachers or elders, he gave him advice like these: give out cheap beers, take others' notes and bully the hard-working students. They might sound frightening, but viewing them as an utterly rational economist, these advice totally make sense.
    An economics professor saw the former article on the newspaper and thought that the letter must had come from his student. He then asked Tim if he had a plan to crush his students' cartel. Though Tim gave the professor some useful solutions, he ended this article with a really harsh comment: If you, an economics teacher can't use your intelligence to crush your students' cartel, then your students can't learn from you anyway. Wow, this economist is really out of the ordinary!
    The most fun part of reading this book is the various questions asked by all kinds of people. You can find yourselves having problems resembling to theirs and will learn the practical solutions. As for me, I'm going to get rid of all my single socks and buy dozens of identical pairs. Hope you'll get your answers here and make good choices in your lifetime.


    Reference:
    Dear Undercover Economist written by Tim Harford


  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment